Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spanglish

A few days ago, one of my best friends ( name shall be anonymous, cause i didn't ask for permission to mention her) sent me a blog, that I now follow, cause I like the style of the writer, but something that she said on her introduction caught my attention cause it's something that I've been thinking of, for a long time.
She mentioned that her blog will be either in English or Spanish but never in Spanglish. This shocked me, cause I use it A LOT. Some people think that Spanglish is
a) a lack of character, knowledge
b) disrespectful with others that don't understand one or the other language
and c) a weak way to look cool.
For me, Spanglish is a powerful tool. If you had the luck to move to this country at school age, you have no problem. But for those (like me) who moved here later in life -let's say after 30- you will never speak like the real thing. And here is when this Spanglish thing plays a major role.
I have to admit, that I use this because sometimes I like the way a word sounds in English or because there's a few things that I've learned here, that I'd have to make an extra-effort to think that word in Spanish.

But picture the woman who came recently from Cuba at the age of 45 or 50, working in a Win Dixie. Would she have to say - Sorry, I don't speak English- or it is better if she makes an effort and say something like- The Bananas are en el estante five? I mean, at least she's trying.

On the other hand there is Pitbull style ( I know you want me) . I know the lyrics and everything but I don't think they are trying to make people learn neither English nor Spanish. For me is like if they are trying to get Gringos and Latinos in a Club and everyone sing the part they know. I'm picturing that now, and looks really funny. Actually my team it's a mix of Latinos, Americans and "LatinAmericans" ( parents latinos, children were born here) and when we hear this song everybody does they part. Americans the english part and the rest of us -tu tienes la boca grande, dale ponte a jugar.....
En fin que comunication it's what matters and you don't have to take sides. You don't have to be like, you speak english or you don't. You just have to speak!!!! Or go back to cave times when people drew on the walls. Don't seat en los laureles either and put some effort on it.
P.S sorry para esos que hablan perfect English....I'm doing my best ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment